Adding a cover to your patio not only protects it from the sun and rain, but it’s also a great way to gain extra living space. Once you’re protected from the elements, a covered patio serves as a weather-friendly outdoor family room — a great place for your family and friends to hang out and enjoy the outdoors, rain or shine. When it comes to home improvement projects, a pergola is also a great return on your investment. It will increase your home’s value by adding functional living space and improving the comfort of your outdoor area.
There are many pergola types to choose from, ranging from open designs, such as a traditional pergola with a lattice roof, to a modern metal-framed patio cover with a solid polycarbonate roof. What’s more, patio covers aren’t just for patios – they can also be used to shelter or shade an outdoor dining area, built-in grill, hot tub, or outdoor fireplace. The style you choose will depend on the purpose for your cover, the location, and your budget.
Get these tips:
- The difference between open and solid patio covers and how to decide which type is right for your needs.
- How to size a pergola so it’s proportionate to the elements around it as well as the house.
- The materials, styles and decorative options for backyard pergolas.
- Where to find pergola plans and custom pergola kits made of vinyl or wood.
- The top 10 vines for adding shade, color and fragrance to a patio cover.
- Ideas for modern patio covers that offer a minimalist look with clean lines.
- The options for wood pergolas, including the most popular wood types, using kits with the wood and hardware included, and custom-built wood patio covers.
- The benefits, options and cost ranges for aluminum patio covers.
- The benefits of vinyl patio covers, including resistance to insect damage and weathering and easy maintenance.
- How to add shade to your backyard using fabric sails, which are available in a variety of shapes, sizes and colors.
- Reducing your electricity costs by installing solar panels on the roof of your patio cover to harvest the energy of the sun.
- Lighting options for covered patios, from recessed can lights to simple rope lighting.
- How to make a covered patio more comfortable by installing ceiling fans, water misters and outdoor heaters.
Check out the latest styles of Pergolas at http://www.greatrailing.com